Re: Ultra2 Booting problem

        Walt,

        Please, the more experienced folks correct me if I'm wrong, but
the "2" at 2/boot/vmlinuz is the device id. So you must know which is the
device id for your hd.
        But this is at the silo's boot prompt. It must appear at
hardware's boot.
        To make it easier to find out, al silo boot prompt, you can use
commans like cat and ls. Try:

        ls -lt 0/lib
        ls -lt 1/lib

        And so on, until you get a list of files form lib folder. When
sucessful, you wil know the device id of your vmlinuz (considering the
/boot partition is the same as /lib). You can try /boot instead of /lib
too...
        Good luck

=============================
Carlos Emir Mantovani Macedo
Suporte Técnico
Tecnologia Bancária S.A.
+55 11 3244-8321
cmacedo@tecban.com.br
http://www.tecban.com.br
=============================

As informações existentes nessa mensagem são para uso restrito, sendo seu
sigilo protegido por lei. Caso não seja destinatário, saiba que leitura,
divulgação ou cópia são proibidas.
Favor apagar as informações e notificar o remetente. O uso impróprio será
tratado conforme as normas da empresa e a legislação em vigor.

The informations contained in this message are restricted, and its
confidentiality protected by law. In case you are not theaddressee, be
aware that the reading, spreading and copy of this message is
unauthorized.
Please, delete this message and notify the sender. The improper use of
this information will be treated according the company's internal rules
and legal laws.

"Walt L. Williams" <wwilliams@intergate.com>
26/11/2004 13:38

Para
"Debian (Sparc) User Group" <debian-sparc@lists.debian.org>
cc

Assunto
Re: Ultra2 Booting problem

On Friday November 26 2004 6:34 am, Carlos Emir M. Macedo wrote:
>         Walt,
>
>         I had the same problem a few days ago. There are erros at your
> silo.conf.

Small problem; I am not getting a silo prompt. The prompt I get is: "{0}
ok".
I believe the silo prompt will say "boot". I did the "boot 2/boot/vmlinuz"
you
indicated below.  I also tried variations of it, ie:  boot 1/boot/vmlinuz.
No
help! The lines below is what I got each time. (The first line is what I
entered at the prompt.)

{0} ok boot 2/boot/vmlinuz
Boot device: /sbus/SUNW, fas@e,8800000/sd@3,0 File and args: boot 2/boot/
vmlinuz
The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.
{0} ok

(The "vmlinuz" is on the next line because of Kmail's line wrap.)
Above is what is being displayed on my Untra2's screen.

Is there any other possibilities??

I supose I could provide the contents of my nvram. Would this help?
I haven't bothered it as I am not overly sure what all the commands
do, and I don't want to completely disable this machine. I have been
doing some reading from various web sites on the subject of nvram
settings. There is a boot-file variable. What if I set this to the kernel?
(vmlinuz)

I am open to any ideas, comments, ramblings, and maybe even insults.
I have this machine so I can learn about it. It looks like I going to get
my
wish. I will need help. Sun hardware has the reputation of being bullet
proof.

Regards
Walt L. Williams

FYI: I downloaded Solaris 10 tried to load only to have the install tell
me that my "UltraSPARC I processors are supported by this release
by the release of Solaris."  Great more wasted CDs.