Re: Can't boot linux on sun blade 2000

Alexey Nezhdanov declared on Tuesday 13 April 2004 01:01 am:
> 13/04/2004 09:45 Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > Alexey Nezhdanov declared on Tuesday 13 April 2004 12:09 am:
> > > current linux kernel. And I can not try 2.6 kernel since nobody
> > > agreed to mail me a compiled binary (Oh well - I know this is
> > > serious risk to
> >
> > Well, if it makes you feel any better, I can't get 2.6 to boot on
> > any Sun thing I've got that I've tried it on, which has only been an
> > Ultra 30, U60, and Cycle quad-proc (E450 in an U2 case)
> > Ultrasparc-II.
> >
> > Has anyone gotten a version of 2.6 to boot on any Ultrasparc
> > hardware? I've been using the latest kernel (2.6.0 through 2.6.4)
> > with the latest toolchain in testing to compile it, yet it doesn't
> > boot... the last time I tried it, it spit out a bunch of whitespace
> > to my serial console, and then froze the machine (couldn't break
> > back to OpenBoot).
>
> I'm now getting similar effect with 2.4 kernel. The most strange thing
> that this effect was not from the very beginning. Initially (when I
> just got this box) all was ok but then I have got an advice to update
> OpenBoot firmware. Afer update kernel works same as before (with
> "unable to open initial console" message in final) BUT it beginned to
> print out two or three screens of whitespace
> _in_the_middle_of_initialisation_. This is the difference between old
> and new OpenBoot that was on this box.

Are you trying to use a framebuffer, or a serial console?  It's possible
that something is missing for the framebuffer to work if you're trying
that.  I'd recommend trying a serial console if you haven't yet.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        --- http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/