From: debian-sparc-request@lists.debian.org
[mailto:debian-sparc-request@lists.debian.org] On Behalf Of David Carlin
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 7:23 PM
To: debian-sparc@lists.debian.org
Subject: Can't boot off CD-ROM

Hello everyone.

I used jigdo to create a sparc install cd, but I can't get it to boot
on my Ultra 5.  This is what I get on the serial console:

 > boot cdrom
Firmware Password:
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0:f  File and args:
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

Type boot , go (continue), or login (command mode)

This made me wonder if CDs created via jigdo are bootable, or if only
the CDs you purchase are bootable.  Searching around, I could find no
information to confirm or deny this.

The CD is readable on the Windows XP computer I used to make it.  I
tried it on a couple different Ultra 5's to make sure it wasn't the
cd-rom drive.  I can boot from the Solaris 9 install CD (Also made from
an ISO on the same Windows PC).

I saw the note in the install instructions about upgrading to the
latest firmware (OpenBoot 3.31) to do a floppy install.  I did this
just in case, still didn't work.

Any suggestions?

		-David