sparc20/woody ... waugh!

This is kind of strange. I've been using this woody iso image for sparc to rescussitate old sparc hardware for some time, and in fact used it only yesterday to install an identical sparc20 without any drama whatsoever.

On this machine, however, the kernel starts booting off of the cdrom, and then halts with the following error:

"""
Partition check:
sda: sda1 sda2 sda3
Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, Trying floppy.
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
"""

the only difference between the system I installed yesterday, and this computer is that yesterday, I installed the machine over a serial console, and the target today has a framebuffer and sun keyboard attached... unfortunately, my null modem cable took a walk yesterday, and hasn't been seen since so I can't test to see if the machine is happier on the serial console. Regardless, I'd classify this as a bug.=) I've looked at all the hardware, reseated the disk in the chassis, checked power, tested the power supply etc etc. and it all seems to come up roses until I run the woody installation disk on the machine.

I saw another thread on precisely this issue back in November as I was searching the archive for a resolution to the problem, but all I came up with was a rejoinder in the debian installation help about cdrom installation on sun4m being a bit flaky.

I tried to use one of the sarge netinst isos that are regenerated nightly, but that image faults trying to mount the root filesystem, apparently because it uses devfs, and there appears to be a futzup associated with devfs on the machine. ... also an error, I think. ;) anyhow, any and all help greatly appreciated.

-Brian