noob with a few questions

I just installed debian testing on my ultra 80. The install was really easy and most everything seems to be working. I have a few questions though.

1. How do I add something to the default run level? I need afbinit to run before X starts so I can have a fast(er) X experience.

2. I choose the right time zone during the install but my clock keeps being wrong after boot. I've set it a few times with date but it hasn't stuck so I want to figure out whats going on and fix it for real.

3. After boot, gnome system monitor reports very little memory used. Over the course fo the day the used memory amount rises until I have almost no free memory. Gnome system monitro shows almost all of the used memory as being cached. Is this normal?

4. How do I change the gnome window manager to sawfish from metacity? I just can't figure out that one.

5. I can get sound by plugging headphones or speakers into the cdrom drive and some applications send sound out the (admittadly not bad sounding) tower speaker. None of the outputs on the sound card itself seem to work though. How can I get that to work?

Thanks for your insight folks!

Abe