Re: [Suns-at-Home] debian (IPX *and* ultra1) as mailserver

Erwann ABALEA said the following:
Bonsoir,

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Mauricio wrote:

	I have a little IPX running debian 3 at home and have been
thinking on using it as my mail server.  What I would like it to do
is to retrive my email from my different accounts out there (the one
I am using right now would be an example), make them avaiable so I
can check them either through pine or using eudora on my Mac, run
spamassassin, *and* keep them separated by the account they are
comming from (so when I reply, for instance, this very mail, my
return address would be supremedalek@hotpop.com).  Can I do that in
this little guy?

What you need is fetchmail, spamassassin, an IMAP+POP3 server, and some
good configuration files. I don't see why it couldn't work on this
machine.

Also, at work I have an Ultra1 I would like to do the same.  I am
still wondering if it would run Solaris or Debian though.  The main
difference is there are more than 100 mail users there.  Also, they
would probably be using Outlook or Mozilla to check their mails.
Would the machine be up for the task?

Yes, with a fast enough hard disk and some RAM. You could eventually
consider reading some benchmarks between UW-IMAP and Cyrus IMAP.

Cyrus is fast as hell if you have a lot of messages in 1 folder, for just myself the speed difference between it and Courier on the same hardware was tremendous. And the use of squatter indexes makes searching also beyond fast. But you'll need to run atleast testing to get a recent version of it. And make sure you read the docs, it can be a bit of a PITA to setup because of the dependency on SASL but it's pretty simple once you understand how it works.

I have an Ultra1 at home and it's been relegated to firewall duties because it's just all around too slow for me. I wouldn't think about letting ~100 people use it for mail. For ~100 users You could probably get better performance from an eMachine class x86 box running Debian. But that's one of the great things about Debian, completely different hardware and yet you have all the same software avaialble.

Jim.