Re: kaffe FTBFS on buildd for sparc

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 03:27:35PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Package: kaffe
> Version: 3:1.1.3-0.2
> Severity: serious
> Justification: no longer builds from source
>
> sparc build failure:
> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=kaffe&ver=1%3A1.1.3-0.2&arch=sparc&stamp=1073828784&file=log&as=raw
>
> /bin/sh ./rebuildLib @essential.files
> Compiling classes from  @essential.files  using  /build/buildd/kaffe-1.1.3/build-tree/kaffe-1.1.3/kaffe/kaffe/kaffe-bin -verbosegc -mx 256M at.dms.kjc.Main
> Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
> Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
> java/lang/NullPointerException
> ./rebuildLib: line 58: 31331 Aborted                 $JAVAC $VERBOSE $JAVAC_FLAGS -d $LIBDIR $CPATH ${1+"$@"}

I attempted a bit of debugging on this, but got stuck. As far as I could
make out, something in processClass() corrupts the c argument to
soft_initialize_class(), which ends up as 0x01 after the return from
processClass(). That argument is held in a register, so I suspect that
some piece of sparc asm is overwriting a register it's not supposed to.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of sparc runs out well before hitting
assembler ...