Re: Finding superblocks, etc. (long)

In article <[🔎] 20040113224815.GK4920@valla.uchicago.edu>
orion@valla.uchicago.edu writes:
>I have a disk full of data and no way to reach the data because my
>partitions are screwed.  If I could find my superblocks or my old
>partition map I could probably salvage it at least a little, do
>something about it, and I'm wondering if anyone can help.  Because it
>involves issues with the Sun disklabel I believe it is sparc-specific.

The sun disklabel is stored in the first 512 bytes of the disk.  It
sounds like you will need to recreate this.  If you know how your disk
was set up, you can recreate it with fdisk, otherwise you could try
experimenting with guesses at what it was.  You may need to wipe the
label out with dd first.

Of course, when practical you should copy the entire disk with dd
before you try messing with it.

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html