Re: Debian on Enterprise 10000 (almost a success!)

Hi Ben,

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Ben Collins wrote:

> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00
> >  Press L1-A to return to the boot prom
>
> Are you booting a kernel image, or the tftpboot image?

Ok I am back and ready to go further to complete this installation. I did
the following tests using the tftpboot image for woody and the last one
released on your site and booting with -p (otherwise there is not output
on the console).

With the woody image after the root is mounted i get:
Warning: unable to open an initial console.

In this case for me it is a fatal error since there is only the console
available.

Using the other image (dated 3 dic 2003) I get the following:

Freeing initrd memory: 1229k freed
read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs filesystem on (dev 01:00, block 64, size 1024)
read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs filesystem on (dev 01:00, block 8, size 1024)
 Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

I did also try to start the system with a nfs root but with 2.4.21 it goes
in timeout errors trying to mount it (as far as i remember there were some
nfs root related problems in some recent kernels). With the woody i cannot
really check for the missing console (unfortunatly the nfsroot is only
partially debootstrapped on a i386 box.. so no way to configure everything
in order to attempt an access via ssh or telnet).

Thanks
Fabio

--
Our mission: make IPv6 the default IP protocol
"We are on a mission from God" - Elwood Blues

http://www.itojun.org/paper/itojun-nanog-200210-ipv6isp/mgp00004.html