Re: Issues installing on a SPARCServer 1000E

> I'm trying to load the latest woody stable release on a Sun Microsystems
> SPARCserver 1000E which Debian supposedly supports. Information on the
> system:
<snip handy referemce>
> Which does correspond to the hardware I currently have in this machine. I
> type in boot cdrom and it is able to boot from the Debian CD. But it doesn't
> go far, when I hit enter at the silo prompt this is what I get:
>
> boot:
> Uncompressing image...
> Data Access Exception
>
> And it then immediately drops me to the ok prompt. Does anybody have any
> ideas as to what's wrong as I'm stumped. I really don't want to go with
> Solaris (whichever version supports this machine as Solaris 9 does not) and
> I've already tried FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD with zero luck.
You might want to check the list archives as this has come up several
times before and was covered in more detail.  The SPARCServer 1000(E)
and 2000(E) are a slightly different architecture (sun4d IIRC based on
sun4m) and have some clever stuff that connects the CPUs together.  Back
in kernel 2.2 there was some support for these machines but not SMP
(althought someone here said they knew of someone who had started work
on it) but it was dropped due to lack of support in >= 2.4.  This is the
closest any free *NIX has got to supporting them.

Your choices are:
1. Run Solaris (mine runs 6, you might find 7 works)
2. Try an older version of Debian / linux 2.2
3. Get a team of people together and get Linux support in later versions
for them.  Last time this was mentioned quite a few people here said
they would be happy to help but no-one had the time to /start/ the
project.  It would give Linux one up on NetBSD though... :-)

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin

--