Re: UFS-write problem

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 05:37:54PM +0100, Martin Alfke wrote:

> On 07.12.2003, at 13:02, arvind@acarlab.com wrote:
>

> >Hi,
> >
> >I have just upgraded my Sun Ultra5 to Woody_r1-ish state.
> >
> >My problem is - I can't write to the UFS SunOS-7 partition. The kernel
> >has been configured with CONFIG_UFS_FS=m and CONFIG_UFS_WRITE=y. I can
> >mount the partiton read-write and copy files from it. But when I try
> >to write to it, ( with cp or dd ) I get a strange error message -
> >'cannot create regular file XXXX: read-only file system'. 'mount'
> >shows it to be mounted rw on /sundisk; and the ufs.o module is loaded.
> >I tried to write to it as root too - but same message.
> >
> >I have been regularly reading/writing to the UFS partition with the
> >previous Debian-potato installation before.
>
> >- Arvind R.
> >
> Hi Arvind,
>
> I had the same problem some some days ago running Linux (2.4.23)
> on a Sun Netra1.
>
> We solved the problem with remounting the sun-ufs partition.
>
> mount -o remount,rw <ufs-device>
>
> Sincerly,
>
> 	Martin

Hello Martin,

Thanks for the tip. Not only does it work on Ultra5 with Linux-2.4.18,
but you have to do it only once! After the first remount, I can mount
the file-system rw as a normal user, but can write only as root - due to
the different UID/GID mappings on the SunOS UFS partition and the Linux
ext3 partitions - which is fine, I think.