Re: Kernel compile problems, revisited.

Hi,

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Pieter-Paul Spiertz wrote:

> I'm still trying to build my own Linux-kernel for an Ultra Enterprise
> 5000 with a by default unsupported StorEdge D1000 disk cabinet.

I'm trying to build a tftpboot.img Debian installer myself. [1]

Is there any official documentation for this? So far, I've only found [2].
The kernel documentation, Google and the installation manual say nothing
more useful about it.

Wednesday, I have taken a Linux 2.4.23 kernel, downloaded the .config [3],
a suitable root.bin from the woody install images and ran in my Linux
source tree:

1) vi .config   (enabled SOC drivers for the D1000 disk array;
                 initrd and ramdisk support were already enabled)
2) make dep
3) make vmlinux
4) make tftpboot.img ROOT_IMG=../root.bin

For a change, I was able to build it successfully. I've fought for weeks
with this alone. Kernel 2.4.21 is a monster when you start using your own
.config's (I've tried to use several variants of a .config by Stephen
Wilcoxon), and the current Debian unstable toolchain is broken
(yes, I know that it'll be fixed when the archives are open again :))

However, when I boot it, the initrd image is not found;

VFS: Cannot open root device "" or 01:00
  Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

With various .configs I keep getting this effect.
Adding boot parameters such as root=/dev/ram or initrd=/dev/ram do not help.

What magic do I miss?

Regards,
Pieter-Paul

 [1]  Ben Collins promised me on IRC that the 2.4.23 kernel images would
      have the SOC drivers in the kernel instead of as modules, so that I'll
      be able to boot the Enterprise with native Debian images soon.
 [2]  http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2001/debian-sparc-200105/msg00106.html
 [3]  http://www.phunnypharm.org/pub/for/sparc-folks/disks-sparc/current/sparc64/kernel-config