PCI Ultra ATA/133 card for Sun Ultra10 (possible?) (Sil0680)

I am new to sparc, so this maybe completely silly.

I am moving an existing server from Solaris 8 to GNU/Linux (Debian). As I learned more (from this list and other sources) I realized how crappy that machine is in terms of disk i/o (I paid big money for the machine on the advise of a Sun/Solaris fan).

The built in CMD64x chipset is really bad and slow. So I had this idea (maybe stupid), that I simple put PCI card card which support the new fast hdd-s. I happend to have a card with the Sil0680 chipset which well supported on the X86 platform.

I installed the card but it is not recognized at all (by the sparc64 stock image at least). I'd like to know if anyone tried this and succeded or failed. And first of all is it doable???

Thanks,

gabor
--
Gabor Szilagyi