sparc32/64 confusion in builds

I'm still fighting a debian libssl0.9.7 build trying to execute
a 64 bit program on my 32 bit sparcstation 20 system
(current as of this morning debian source).

I'm watching other emails talk about 32/64 confusions
in sparc ports/builds.

I thought I'd 'apt-get remove' useless 64 bit packages
off my system and retry the libssl build but dependencies
block going far with that approach.  libc6-dev-sparc64 is
hooked into build-essential and  daemontools-installer.
Ditto for other 64 bit packages in 32 bit sparc land.

Does this interrelate with other 32/64 problems
being discussed on this list?