Re: Recompiling everything on my system

apt-build sets up a wrapper script for gcc that picks up
configuration parameters out of a configuration file.  You
could probably setup something not quite as fancy for yourself.

The following comments are uninformed, but may reflect a
bit of reality ...

 - if you don't need the large address space, then running
   64 bit userland slows your program down

 - the transition from mostly 32bit userland to 64bit
   userland is probably frought with danger
   - the entire system has to be rigged 64bit and
     the question becomes one of transitioning
     your system across that divide ...
   - are you sure all of your packages are rigged
     to be able to be compiled and run 64bit userland?

In other words, its not clear to me that all of the
packages have already had the 64bit sparc userland
bumps ironed out of them and, if and when you do
get to 64bit userland, will it have been worth it?

That aside, seems like an interesting experiment.
I'm doing something almost as crazy now trying to
push a kludged debian-unstable-sparc ss20 smp
over to gentoo to pick up max optimizations for the
hardware.  I'm scared that I'll end up with a bad
blend of programs/libraries somewhere along the
way that breaks everything.  We'll see.

Heitzso

Hello all

I am interested at recompiling all packages that i have installed on my ultra5 currently running unstable. (yeah its a slow box, but its idle too) I am at the stage that I have a copy of the source packages on my apt-proxy and started to compile. While watching the compile output I notice many flags that seem to me to suggest compiling is being done 32bit. How do i make apt-get -b source pkgname
compile for sparc64 and not sparc32 as having 64bit useland is my intention.