Re: DRM/DRI? (was: [debian-sparc] Re: Are Sunblade 1000s slow?)

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:48:29 +0200 (CEST)
Erwann Abalea <erwann.abalea@certplus.com> wrote:

> BTW, what is the difference between DRI and the drm.o kernel module?

DRI is the Direct Rendering Infrastructure, it encompasses both
the kernel bits and the xfree86/opengl side parts.

> I have the drm.o kernel module loaded and the 'Load "dri"' line commented,
> and I can get about 470 fps. Without the drm.o module, the numbers are
> much lower, but above 100 fps. I don't remember having tested other
> configurations.

That sounds about right, the GL acceleration goes off and you get
lower frame rates.

Software rendering is going to be faster with the creator3d card than
with the ATI cards because of how the framebuffer access is
implemented when writing raw pixmaps (which is how the GL software
rendering works, it draws into a software pixmap then that is simply
copied onto the framebuffer).