Re: Are Sunblade 1000s slow?

Antonello wrote:

On Thursday 02 October 2003 19:40, Ben Collins wrote:

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part4 on /home type ext3 (rw)
That's a rather ugly partition map :)
Did you read the install docs where it says to not put a filesystem on
partition number 3 and leave it as a Whole Disk to make OBP happy?

RTFineM?!! Pfft!   :-)

Now that you've inspired me to at least glance at the documentation, I find only two references:

Sun disk partitions allow for 8 separate partitions (or slices). The third partition is usually (and is preferred to have) the ``Whole Disk'' partition. This partition references all of the sectors of the disk, and is used by the boot loader (either SILO, or Sun's).

and

It is also advised that the third partition should be of type ``Whole disk'' (type 5), and contain the entire disk (from the first cylinder to the last). This is simply a convention of Sun disk labels, and helps the |SILO| boot loader keep its bearings.

I also found this comment:

Make sure you create a ``Sun disk label'' on your boot disk. This is the only kind of partition scheme that the OpenBoot PROM understands, and so it's the only scheme from which you can boot. The /s/ key is used in |fdisk| to create Sun disk labels.

Nonetheless, even though I did not create a "Sun disk label" on my boot disk, or reserve the 3rd partition for the "Whole disk", everything seems to be working fine except for the speed issue. In other words, I'm not seeing the symptoms ascribed to my mistakes, so I'm wondering if that information is really accurate/up-to-date. However, since I am seeing speed issues, I wonder if these things are related. Is anyone confident enough that they are that you would recommend I rebuild the box? I'd rather not, but it wouldn't be catastrophic if I had to.

--
Kent