Re: audio cd on ultra 5

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 08:59:41AM -0500, Mark T. Valites wrote:

> Today I stuck in an audio cd for the first time & wasn't able to
> play it.  I exited out E & gnome & logged back in & got an error
> message about not having permission to open /dev/mixer.  I can get
> the cd to start spinning fine & the second counter to tick on fine
> in any cd playing app, but no sound comes out.  No luck as root
> either.

I'd like to hear this confirmed from other sources, but I think the
problem is that the audio output on the drive is not connected to the
sound hardware on the motherboard.  It appears that the cs4231 chipset
supports this, but I have never seen a stock Sun connected this way,
and I've had trouble even finding motherboard jacks for it (SS5, U1,
U10).  You probably could get XMMS to play -- I think there's an
option to extract the digital audio data and dump it to the sound
hardware (effectively, ripping it to play it.)  I gave up and just
ripped all my CD's to MP3's, which is more flexible anyway.

> Mark T. Valites
> Unix Systems Analyst
> 1 College Circle - 124b1 South Hall
> SUNY Geneseo
> Geneseo, NY 14454
> 585-245-5577
> 585-259-3471 (Cell)
> 585-245-5579 (Fax)

Bold man, putting all that in a public posting.  :-)  But since you
did, "Howdy, neighbor!" -- I'm in Rochester.

Later,
  Rob.