dist-upgrade problem after make-kpkg

A while back I make-kpkg installed a new 2.4.19 custom kernel.

This past week, I went to dist-upgrade the system again, except I am
getting caught when apt-get sees the custom kernel deb.  It says if I
don't want to overwrite part of it, to exit.  When I do, it exits &
appears to go on, but doesn't update any of the debs after the kernel.
How can I get around this?

Here's the errors:

You are attempting to install a kernel image (version 2.4.19)
However, the directory /lib/modules/2.4.19 still exists.  If this
directory belongs to a previous kernel-image-2.4.19 package, and if
you have deselected some modules, or installed standalone modules
packages, this could be bad. However, if this directory exists because
you are also installing some stand alone modules right now, and they
got unpacked before I did, then this is pretty benign.  Unfortunately,
I can't tell the difference.

If /lib/modules/2.4.19 belongs to a old install of
kenel-image-2.4.19, this is your last chance to abort the
installation of this kernel image (nothing has been changed yet).

If this directory is because of stand alone modules being installed
right now, or if it does belong to an older kernel-image-2.4.19
package but you know what you are doing, and if you feel that this
image should be installed despite this anomaly, Please answer n to the
question.

Otherwise, I suggest you move /lib/modules/2.4.19 out of the way,
perhaps to /lib/modules/2.4.19.old or something, and then try
re-installing this image.
Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]y
Ok, Aborting
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/kernel-image-2.4.19-sun4u_27_sparc.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kernel-image-2.4.19-sun4u_27_sparc.deb

Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst
1 College Circle - 124b1 South Hall
SUNY Geneseo