Re: [Re: [Re: sparc 5 install, first boot woes semi-solved]]

  Hi Tim.  My apologies that I was unclear.  I think I've been trying this
too long and have confused myself up a bit.  I'll try to be a bit clearer:

  Stop-A
  ok> boot disk:1

    also

  Stop-A
  ok> boot disk

  These both give me the following message:

  Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/sd@3,0:1  File
and args:
  SProgram terminated

  So it seems that just as SILO is about to load, it gets terminated.
Like you said, it's not running from the boot prom.

  Trying to solve this problem, I tried what you suggested, silo -f -r
/mnt , but it gives this error:

   /etc/silo.conf: No such file or directory

  I know that it exists.  Its contents are:

  partition=1
  root=/dev/sda1
  timeout=100
  image=1/vmlinuz
  label=linux
  read-only

  I've tried changing that image line to image=vmlinuz but that didn't
seem to work either.
  I also double checked that first.b and second.b exist, and like you said
first.b is 512 bytes.

  Thank you all again for helping me with this,

  Kris

Tim Ellis <Tim.Ellis@gamet.com> wrote:
> when I try to boot from the openboot prompt, I get the error, "Program
> Terminated," just as SILO tries to run.

Let's be perfectly clear.

Stop-A
ok> boot disk:1
SILO: (press ENTER or RETURN)
Program Terminated

Is that how it goes? Do you ever see "SILO"?

> combinations of boot-device settings (disk:1, disk:1:1, scsi, etc) but
> can't find the one that works.

You need to figure out which one shows you SILO and stick with that. If
you never see SILO, then yeh, there's either a hardware problem or you
haven't found the magic boot device yet (or, maybe SILO never made it into
the boot prom?)

I'm not sure what pre-SILO work needs to be done. ie: since SILO runs from
the boot prom, how does it get there? The above output verbiage seems to
indicate running "silo" doesn't actually do anything, but just verifies
silo.conf is syntactically correct.

You may have to pass "silo -f -r /mnt" to force SILO to do something.

> I ran silo after booting from floppy and
> it said it looked valid.  I then added a link from /etc/silo.conf to
> /boot/silo.conf but am having the same problems.

Don't do that. /etc/silo.conf is the right location. /boot should have
first.b and second.b (I think this is always true). first.b should be 512
bytes.

> When I try to make a boot
> floppy, that fails too.  Ug.

For me this never worked. It would write a little bit to the floppy and
then the whole system would hang.

>    Sorry to keep hounding everyone with these questions, but any advice?
> Thank you again,

I hope someone can add helpful advice... but if you can explain the exact
problem you're having in detail, odds are (a) someone will solve it or
(b) you yourself will see the problem.

--
Tim Ellis
Senior Database Architect