SILO

Helo for all,

I'm getting problems in the boot process. I installed Debian GNU/Linux
on an old Sparc Station 4 (sun4cdm) using the Potato CDROM (kernel
2.2.19). After that I've run lots of upgrades so now I have a actualized
system. Yesterday I downloaded the kernel 2.4.19 I compiled it. After
that I changed my silo.conf. Now, at the SILO prompt if I type the old
kernel image it works fine, but for the new one I get the following
message:
boot message [end of the message, that (I guess) it is important]
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno=2
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or 08:01
  Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

My silo.conf is (label=linux for the old kernel, 2.2.19.
label=linux-2.4.19 for the new one):
silo.conf
partition=1
root=/dev/sda1
timeout=20

image=1/vmlinuz
    label=linux
    read-only

image=/vmlinux
    label=linux-2.4.19
    read-only

What's the problem: the kernel I compiled, or the silo.conf? I tryed to
read /usr/share/doc/silo/README.gz, however I confess I couldn't
understand it well! Sorry!

Thank's for your help.

Antonio L. Pacifico