X Lockup problem

I have manged to get X starting up on my Utra 1 however i now get to a grey hashed screen with the Cross in the center and the local console on the machine is then locked completly if i look in the XFree86.0.log file i get the entries below so i am concluding that whatever is supposed to happen next during X startup is causing my problem. Could someone enlighten me as to what is supposed to happen next during X startup and wher i should start to look to troubleshoot this.

Thanks

Tim

(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension LBX
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) /dev/fb0: Setting up double-buffer acceleration.
(**) Option "Protocol" "auto"
(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "auto"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
(==) Mouse0: Buttons: 3
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard0" handled by legacy driver
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(EE) Mouse0: cannot determine the mouse protocol
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list !
 list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing from list !