FW: Installing Woody on Ultra 1 - hangs after root floppy inserted

Hi

I know this problem has been brought up a few times before, but I have not
been able to solve it yet on my machine...

I am trying to install Woody on an Ultra 1 by booting from floppies,
followed by an http install (as my cd drive is very ropey). This works fine
with the Potato disks, and I can boot from the Potato rescue floppy and load
the Woody root floppy, so I'm assuming the problem is with the Woody rescue
disk.  I have tried using the rescue.bin image from the main download site
and also from Ben Collins' site:

http://auric.debian.org/~bcollins/disks-sparc/current/sun4u/images-1.44/resc
ue.bin

I have also tried downloading and RaWrite-ing the disks several times, but I
always get the same result: after I insert the root floppy and hit enter,
the machine hangs and won't respond to the keyboard (I am not using a
terminal on the serial port like some others who have had this problem
before), so I have to cycle the power.

I don't think I can use TFTP as I am squatting on my works network and don't
feel confident about setting up the required server stuff on my windows
machine.

any advice much appreciated...

thanks

Stu Yarrow