Re: E250 crashing hard with 2.4.16 and 2.4.17

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Tille, Andreas wrote:

> once I had hardware failures on my E250 server which I was able to
> reproduce also under Solaris.  This enabled me to bother the Sun
> support.  Now I am in trouble because the problem only occures under
> Linux :-(.
>
> After the crash I had to switch on the machine manually.  A can't to
> anything via serial line (seyon).  It does not take any signal (at least
> 'Break' does not work and I did not found any other signal to realive
> the box).

Andreas,

I'm experiencing a similar problem with a similarly configured (logically
speaking) machine.

> I'm running a kernel compiled by myself with ext3fs.  It happens at least
> with 2.4.16 and 2.4.17.  Whatever problem /dev/sda4 has - the machine
> should not crash, shouldn't it?
>
> I tried the analogous script on /dev/sdd where I have a Solaris test
> partition.  At least I tried it with a partition at /dev/sdd, because I
> do not know which is the syntax under solaris to adress exactly the
> physical /dev/sda4.
>
> Any ideas to get the machine working again?
> What additional information is needed to track down the problem?

I have been running the 2.4.17 kernel (2.4.18 doesn't compile) with ext3
built right into the image on an ultra60 with two cpus and 512mb of ram.
the root filesystem is running on ext2, but I have /home mounted on a
large (36gb) ext3 partition. I have been experiencing random hard locks
that I have not been able to track down; This machine previously ran with
only ext2 filesystems (even on 2.4.17) for long periods, but as soon as I
mounted the ext3 filesystem, I started to see the locking behaviour. I
have been trying to move to a 2.4.18 or a 2.5.x development kernel from
vger, but I can't get a viable set of kernel packages built out of any of
the post 2.4.17 source. =/

Brian
fade@etc.etc.etc.

"You can't depend on your judgement when your imagination
is out of focus."			-- Mark Twain