Re: Can't locate module char-major-4

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 09:52:16AM -0000, Wren, Christopher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Looking through the syslog I kept seeing:
>
> > Feb 23 11:43:39 annabell modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
>   char-major-4
>
> repeating continually, any ideas on how I clean this up ???
>

> running "modprobe -c" there is the line:
>
> > alias char-major-4 serial
>
> which I think I need to delete or hash out but looking through modules.conf
> and /etc/modules I can't seem to find anything that correlates to this ??

Sounds like something is attempting to open or use a serial line which
your system doesn't have (like maybe ttyS2 or higher). Do you run CUPS?
Generally it probes serial lines on startup. Maybe you could configure
it not to do so.

/       Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux    --    WatchGuard.com      \
`          bcollins@debian.org   --   Ben.Collins@watchguard.com           '