Crashes with 2.4.16

Hello,

after some crashes with 2.4.16 I brought my Sparc E250 server into an
unbootable state :-(((.
Because of the crashes I observed I just swithed to ext3fs and did
so for the root partition as well.  Now the box crashes while booting.
Tha last claim is that it can't fix an ro-mounted disk.

My netboot setup has to be checked (I did not used it since several
month - have make it working again).  But I wonder is I just could
check some pre-woody install disks (i.e. ISO images - the box has no
floppy).  May be a can help with some installation success report.

Any other help according to known problems with 2.4.x kernels would
be welcome.

Kind regards

         Andreas.