Re: MO-drive

On 5 Feb 2002, Hakan Kuecuekyilmaz wrote:

> my MO-drive is working now for a while. If I mount the drive, it seems
> that is spinning the disk all the time. How can I check wheter it is
> spinning all the time and how can I make it not to spin all the time.
>
> It should be mounted, because I use it as a backup directory in our
> Network....

from the scsitools package, there is the scsi-spin program:

scsi-spin: must specify --up or --down.
usage: scsi-spin {-u,-d} [-nfp] device
          -u, --up    spin up device.
          -d, --down  spin down device.
          -n, --noact do nothing but check if the device is in use.
          -f, --force force spinning up/down even if the device is in use.
          -p, --proc  use /proc/mounts instead of /etc/mtab to do the check.
       device is one of /dev/sd[a-z], /dev/scd[0-9]* or /dev/sg[0-9]*.

unfortunately, the -S option to hdparm doesn't work on SCSI devices. Is this
feature (auto spin-down after inactivity) only available with IDE, or is it just
that hdparm doesn't support this on SCSI?

hope this helps,
bye

--
Ian Tester   *8)#          \7\    LINUX: because geeks will find a way