console on ttya

I have a number of problem with my sparc that uses ttya for IO.

Problem one.
    Connecting the serial port to a PC also running debian has the funny
effect that when I shutdown the PC the sparcs enters the openboot. In
short the effect is like turning both off, This is not good as one is
NIS master and the other the slave :(

Problem two.
    When connecting to the PC from any system and running minicom to
talk to the sparc and not exiting minicom the proper way the sun enters
obenboot.

Problem three.
    can't figure out how to enter openboot the proper way :)

The way this works for me right now I have to make shure I don't have
the serial cable connected this is a minor irritation.