Onboard sound on an SS10

Dear All,

First of all, apologies if this isn't the right forum
to ask this, or if the answer is "RTFM" (tried that,
no success).

I'm trying to get the onboard sound to work on my
SPARCstation10 + speaker box, and have had no success.
I'm running 2.2r4. I've tried adding the "audio"
module to the kernel, and when the machine boots I get
an error:

Starting sound sriver: snd-card-card-ad1848 failed

When I added the module using modconf, I didn't enter
any extra parameters.

I've also looked on www.dementia.org, and they say
that  the SS10 uses a 4215 codec, which doesn't seem
to be included as one of the standard types in ALSA.
Dumb question, but do I need the audio kernel module +
ALSA, or just ALSA, or just the kernel module, or none
of the above?

Anyway, as you can probably tell, I have absolutely no
idea what I'm doing when it comes to Linux and sound,
so any help would be greatly appreciated.

As an aside, my speaker box does warble at me, with
incoherent digital noises (it whines when the disk
goes into action, and beeps a few times when the
machine boots), so I'm guessing it's getting some
pickup from the workstation. Although this a bad
thing, I guess it's evidence that the speaker box is
working?

Thanks in advance,
Phill Cook