Re: Why no raid modules?

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 03:58:17PM -0500, Michael Hicks wrote:
> > Why aren't any raid modules included in the official kernel packages
> > for UltraSparc?
>
> Because most likely the ioctl's aren't written to support them on
> UltraSPARC's 32-bit -> 64-bit translations. If you have success, let me
> know, and I'll enable them.

Just to be clear, I'm running testing.

I've had a certain level of success with enabling raid0 support on the
2.4.7 kernel-source package from testing.  Even managed to get that going
when compiling with gcc-3.0 (probably just lucky).  The compile barfs on
2.4.9, though it doesn't seem to be in a raid-related area (could be a
symptom of a compiler bug, but I don't know yet)

I did end up having some trouble with the raid system, though, as it seemed
to clobber the partition tables on the second and third disks in my 3 drive
group.

However, this didn't really matter to me, as I'm using the entirety of
these disks and merging them together into one big device.  I just changed
the config files to point, for example, at /dev/hdb instead of /dev/hdb1.

--
        Mike Hicks   [mailto:mhicks@csom.umn.edu]
   Unix Support Assistant    | Carlson School of Management