RE: Keyboard/mouse problems with X

On Fri, 19 May 2000 09:48:53 +0200 (CEST), David Pisa wrote:
> I've the same problem on a Sparc Station 20 with Potato dist and 2.2.15,
> but with 2.2.14 kernel I had the same problem...
>
> I think it's a problem of Sun's bus mouse

Yes, it sure is. I already investigated this on a Sparc Classic (and
reported it to the list), to the point of running a strace on the X
server binary.

The problem is that /dev/sunmouse is a "single open" device, so that means
that only one process is allowed to open the device. If you install gpm,
it will open /dev/sunmouse, so the X server can't use the device. Gpm has
a solution for this: the /dev/gpmdata repeater. Unfortunately, the Xsun
server tries to do some ioctl()s on its mouse device which miserably fail,
and the server decides to crash (no, it doesn't matter which protocol
/dev/gpmdata speaks).

There are two solutions:

- Mark gpm as conflicting with Xsun
- Modify the Xsun source to ignore the ioctl() errors so it will work with
  /dev/gpmdata

I think this is a release-critical bug, it will break X on every Sun using
the Xsun server.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl