Re: openprom> whereis silo\n

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 03:29:27PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> What is the SCSI ID of the Linux disk? Sounds like you are trying to boot
> one that isn't SCSI ID 3 (the default that SPARC tries to boot). You'll
> need to specify something like "boot disk2" or something. Then in linux,
> edit /etc/silo.conf to put the boot block on the correct disk. The reason
> it is done this way is to prevent from breaking installs where
> Solaris/SunOS is on one disk, and Linux is on another (common setup).

Golly.  I'm new to Sun hardware, so pardon if I'm oververbose.

I have disks at
bus 0: #0=sda, #2=sdb, #3=sdc
bus 1: #0=sdd
bus 2: #0=st0, #6=sr0
bus 3: #0=sde, #1=sdf

It's on sda1 that I have my root, and on sdb1 that I have /var .  The
other disks are as yet unused.

I have tried...
  'boot disk0' ( == boots SunOS (or tries to!))
  'boot disk1' ( => The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.)
  'boot disk2' ( => Drive not ready.\nCannot read disk label.)

The man page of 'silo.conf' didn't help me much in figuring out how to put
the magic code in any particular place.  What's the tag?

For all its eccentricities, I understand and like the Mac openfirmware
more.  :P  :(

I'd appreciate any further ideas.

						- chad

--
Chad Miller <cmiller@surfsouth.com>   URL: http://web.chad.org/   (GPG)
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced".