Re: Sparc install w/out framebuffer?

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 03:04:11PM -0500, Will Lowe wrote:
> I'm trying to do an install on an old sparc 1+;  I pulled the framebuffer
> and I'd like to do the install on the tty port.  The kernel panics when it
> can't open the framebuffer,  and the install aborts.  Any clues?
>
> 	... This is a slink cd,  so maybe potato would work better?

Yeah, I would use the potato images. In fact, if you can burn CD's and are
willing to download a 55meg ISO image, you can test this:

ftp://marcus.debian.net/pub/debian/disks-sparc/

Otherwide, you can use the install images in the potato archive at the
normal mirror locations.

There are several known issues (and serial console is one of them). Before
you reboot the new system, edit the newly installed /etc/inittab and add
this at the bottom:

T0:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure base-config </dev/ttyS0 >/dev/ttyS0 2>&1

(note, change it to ttyS1 if you are using the B serial port)
Then you will have a safe install.

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '