Re: Linux on IPCs and 1+s

On Tue, Jun 22, 1999 at 04:15:08PM -0400, Will Lowe wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> 	We've got a whole mess of anchient sparcs here (8 IPCs, 6 or so
> 1+s) that I'm considering firing up under linux to do some DNS/mail
> serving, etc ... I know Solaris 2.x is slow as dirt on these;  is linux
> any better?
>
> 	... and is the Debian sparc port far enough along to make this
> practical?

I have potato installed on a sparc 1 and it runs great. I also ran a 25
client irc server on a 1+. Linux is faster than Solaris on these systems,
but they are still only good for single service type applications, which
sounds like what you want to do. They are very solid though (36 days
uptime on the sparc 1 so far, the sparc 1+ last I looked had 82 days).

Ben