Xserver looses keys !!

Hello,

I am using X on a diskless SLC and it works, but there is one Problem: The r
and c keys just don't work under X. They work when I log in via xdm on
another host, but as soon as I am logged in and I run an xterm, the keys
don't work any more. If I start xemacs, it says "multikey not defined" when
I type a c.

Is this something known ( I know the server is experimental, but this makes
it almost unusable) or could this be because of the machine having only 8
Meg of RAM? (swap is enabled and used, but by far not full)

Any Thoughts?
Thanks
   Alexander