Nvram/idprom on Sparc 1

Hi!

<<<<<<<<<<  My questions:  >>>>>>>>>>

- What need Linux boot process from nvram/idprom?
- Is it possibale boot Linux without new NVRAM?

<<<<<<<<<<  My answers:  >>>>>>>>>>>

I have Sparc 1 and NVRAM died on it. I haven't many $$ for
install new NVRAM on old machine. Linux kernel don't boot
without some variables in IDPROM and don't ask you about them.

Structure IDPROM:

 byte(s)     contents
 0           always 01 - format/version number
 1           first byte of hostid (machine type)
 2-7         6 byte ethernet address (first three bytes should be 08,00,20)
 8-b         date of manufacture (usually all 0s, doesn't really matter)
 c           second byte of hostid
 d           third byte of hostid
 e           fourth byte of hostid
 f           IDPROM checksum - bitwise xor of bytes 0-e

If you have message at power on:

     Sun Workstation, Model Sun-XXXX Series.
     Type 4 Keyboard
     ROM Rev X.X, XXMB memory installed, Serial #16777215
     Ethernet address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, Host ID ffffffff

     Invalid format type in NVRAM
     The IDPROM contents are invalid

You can setup IDPROM from the OpenBoot monitor (ok prompt).

- Type the command .idprom to get the IDPROM information at the OpenBoot
  monitor "ok" prompt.

- The command to reprogram the IDPROM part of NVRAM is "mkp". The format for
  the command is

  <value> <location> mkp

Real example for Sparc 1:

1 0 mkp		format/version number
51 1 mkp        machine type
--------------
8 2 mkp
0 3 mkp
20 4 mkp	ethernet address
8 5 mkp
de 6 mkp
ef 7 mkp
--------------
25 8 mkp
d1 9 mkp	manufactured date
fe a mkp
5a b mkp
--------------
0 c mkp
fb d mkp	serial number (hostid)
cf e mkp
25 f mkp	checksum

After this operation Linux kernel will boot on your
Sparc. But after power off all data in IDPROM will lost. :)

Regards,
	Grigory.