Re: Ultra 5 install problem

<snip>
> Now before you go bashing on my cd burning ability, this disk will boot fine
> in my other sparcs. So will all of the other cds I have burned. I have
> purchased new memory for it, I have done a thorough wiping of the drive in
> another machine, I have even put back the oem sun cdrom and 8gb hdd, and
> have the exact same results. I 'am' able to install Solaris 9 with NO
> PROBLEMS, and it runs great.
I've been told some older Sun boxen will only boot from particular
brands of CD - that might explain this although AFAIK they stopped doing
that way before the Ultra series.  Perhaps try again with the OEM cdrom
and the new hdd.

> But, I want debian on here. This machine
> previously had debian installed, and ran great. At that time, it had the 8gb
> hdd, and 2 smaller scsi drives. I am willing to try anything you all might
> suggest. I really don’t want to trash this machine, as it performs so well.
> Thanks for any replies.
Have you tried a net install?  If you have another Sun boxen (or access
to one) you could install onto the hard disk and then switch boxes.
IIRC there is also a way of installing from an existing UNIX - you could
use Solaris 9 to install onto the larger disk and then boot from it.

HTH

Sweet Dreams,
 - Martin

--