Re: procps doesn't buildd - /lib versus /lib64

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:28:51AM -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 00:16, David S. Miller wrote:
> > Ben, don't waste your breath with Albert.
> >
> > Based upon my previous experiences with him, he has access to drugs
> > even Hunter S. Thompson hasn't experimented with.
>
> Be unprofessional if you wish. I've tried to stick
> to the technical defect: you've forced developers
> to add special Makefile hacks to support you.
>
> There is a 90% fix that won't touch the ABI at all:
>
> 1. make -m64 the default, as x86-64 does

x86-64 runs faster and better as 64-bit. ultrasparc does not. It's only
pertinent to situations where you need to:

a) Access more than 4gigs of ram in a single program (like a database)
b) Access parts of the kernel internals that are not best accessed as
   32-bit translations (e.g. bridge-utils and procps).

> 2. have the install program detect ELF32 or ELF64

That's a pain in the ass. Plus if things start being built as 64-bit by
default for debian-sparc, then sparc32 users are gone.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/