Re: Compiling a kernel that works

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 09:12:53PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > That worked fine, once I included the ext3 (which I remembered) and the
> > tulip card (which I forgot)
> >
> > That seems happy.  I normally use make-kpkg and install the resulting
> > .deb file. Could that be the reason why it is breaking?
>
> Nope...I use make-kpkg aswell. I'd say you are just creating a kernel
> that is missing some needed parts.

OK, I'll make-kpkg a kernel with exactly the same config and see if that
goes ok.

There is still one problem, more annoying than anything.

The kernel ignores the kernel parameters, including the root= line.
With identical silo configs, an old kernel will know root is /dev/hda1
while the one using your instructions (and when I compile it sometimes
if it gets that far) thinks the kernel parameters are ""

This happens even if I put it on the silo line, eg
linux root=/dev/hda1

The only way to get it to work is to break to the ok prompt and type
boot linux root=/dev/hda1

it then knows the kernel paramters are "root=/dev/hda1" and mounts /
correctly and happily goes on its way.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/                <csmall@enc.com.au>