change eth0 to eth2 on a multi-homed ultra 1

This comes under the heading of 'nice to have' so I wouldn't want anyone
to break stride in answering this problem but maybe someone has trodden
this path before!

I have a multi-homed U1. 1 motherboard 10 base T nic (eth2; Lance) and
two additional 100 base T nics (eth0 & eth1; both Happy Meal).

I would like the 10 base T eth2 to be eth0. How do I achieve this small
miracle, please?

(From Googling it seems that it might have something to do with
modules.conf and aliasing but the only examples I can find differentiate
the cards by their drivers.)

John