Re: running X w/serial console (XDCMP)

Martin said:

> I am slightly confused at what you're trying to do.  XDCMP is commonly
> used over IP - not serial links.  Serial link may not have the bandwidth
> nessecary to do this properly.

well what I meant is there is no keyboard/mouse on the machine at
the moment, the console is on the serial port, I am connecting to
gdm via XDCMP over TCP/IP (connecting works fine, I get the gdm login
screen, just when I try to login, gdm cycles and the log says it cannot
start X)

> Posting the exact error message would be a lot more useful - does it say
> /dev/tty0 doesn't exist or /dev/ttyS0 doesn't exist?

from the gdm log:
Jun  5 02:18:40 sparky gdm[4616]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X
error - Re
starting :0

from plain ol startx:
Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

(I think because the hardware disables the keyboard console when
no keyboard is plugged in.. there is a device file /dev/tty0 )

> You will need to run an XServer on whichever machine is controlling the
> display hardware.  You will also need the correct drivers for that
> hardware.

yes I have that setup already..just for some reason gdm wants to run
an X server on the machine gdm is on, rather then realize I have an
X server on the remote side..

> You don't log in to XDCMP.  It is a protocol that identifies which
> servers are willing to accept X sessions over a network.

well connecting via XDCMP, logging in via gdm(I see the login screen
and can authenticate ..)

> Then why not network the Ultra 1 up to another machine and get
> comfortable using GDM/XDCMP and running remote displays in a more
> standard config.

it is .. :/

thanks!

I suspect this is a gdm configuration issue .......

nate