Re: auto power-off on a SPARC LX (was Re: Ethernet lockup)

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Eric Brower wrote:

> The Ultra patch is not applicable.  The SPARC kernel will not power-down
> a system with a serial console attached; from process.c:

 The SPARC LX in question is completely headless... no keyboard/monitor,
and no serial attached... only power, SCSI, and network... I am curious as
to when such changes took place in the kernel, as things were working as
expected with the 2.2.x kernels.

> > void machine_power_off(void)
> > {
> > #ifdef CONFIG_SUN_AUXIO
> >     if (auxio_power_register && !serial_console)
> >         *auxio_power_register |= AUXIO_POWER_OFF;
> > #endif
> >     machine_halt();
> > }
>
> If this implementation bothers you, consider coding-up a sysctl to
> modify this behavior.

 Is this a new addition to the kernel for the 2.4.x series?

 Or, would you recommend any PROM settings I could set to get the current
default behavior of my LX to really power-off when I shutdown?

---
 Matthew Haas           Squirrel's Law #209203923: "Thou shalt ignoreth
 Corning/Geneseo, NY       all RAM specifications, they're noo scottish"