How to get a working kernel? (2.4)

Ok, I've been trying for some time now to get a working kernel for my Ultra
Enterprise 2.
The base debian one works fine, but doesn't support the second processor or
the Differential SCSI card in the box.
I've been trying to compile my own kernel for over a week now and it's not
going well.
The best I've gotten so far is:
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
Initializing RT netlink socket
Kernel panic: rtnetlink_init: cannot initialize rtnetlink

I usually wind up with a compile error, or the system getting stuck at
"Starting CPU 1... OK"

I'm trying to compile the latest 2.4 series kernel (2.4.20?) and using gcc3.

Any suggestions on how to get myself a usable kernel?

Greg