Re: [debian-sparc] Which is best distro for Ultra 10

> -  Debian Linux distro available on debian site is for SPARC so will this work
> on this ULTRA10 machine?
Works on this one.

> -  The application which I want to port uses C/C++, Informix7.1, DataView (for
> GUI features). This application is originally built on HP-UX 10.20. So is
> Debian a good choice?
Sounds reasonable - it somewhat depends on how many features of PA-RISC
/ HP-UX it uses.  Where DataView has been ported, etc.

> - The application(Switch Surveillance system used for Telecom Network
> Management)  has major control through the GUI features, so will Debian be the
> right disrto to use?
Debian has both Gnome and KDE avaliable.  For this sort of thing I
wouldn't have said there was much to choose form between distros.

> - Are there any porting guidelines document available? If yes then where can I
> find them?
Make sure all the libraries you need have been ported.  If not then find
equivalents or write you own.  Compile it up and then fix whatever
breaks.  I could be worng but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of
science behind porting.  Writing portable software does take some
knowledge btu porting an existing program isn't that conceptually
complex IMHO.

Sweet Dreams,
 - Martin

--