Re: XsunMono Segfault on IPC. (update)

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 08:24:47PM -0700, Steve Bowman wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 10:29:55PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 09:24:38PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > Hrmmmm.  Does anyone know anything about the .ras file format?  I suppose
[...]
> > > If this is an endianness problem I'm going to become seriously enraged.
> >
> > I doubt it is. Anyway, Steve used an Ultra with Gimp to create them IIRC.
>
> ISTR that the word size is larger on the ultra than on the sun4{cdm}.
> Perhaps some header data in the file format is misaligned causing it to
> either mis-parse the file or read past the end.  I may be mis-remembering,
> it may be the vm page size that's different.

Why should such info be coded into an image file format (even as a side
effect)?  It has nothing to do with representing the image!  Part of the
problem is my ignorance of the .ras file format.  Is it basically just a
memory dump of a region of framebuffer, and thus subject to the vagaries of
the underlying hardware?

If so, I'm very, very sorry I supported this kludge of a splash screen in
the first place.

(This is not to disparage Steve's work in cooking up these images; it's the
file format I have a beef with, and the very non-robust functions that draw
the splash.)

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    A committee is a life form with six or
Debian GNU/Linux                |    more legs and no brain.