Re: Debian on a Sun SPARC 2

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 02:36:08PM +0200, Marcus Crafter wrote:
> 	I have the opportunity to get my hands on a Sun SPARC 2. I was
> 	wondering if anyone out there has such a machine and if they might
> 	mind sharing some of their experiences with such a machine (eg.
> 	installation, performance, tricks/problems, success stories, etc).

Well, the instalation is tricky sometimes, but you will figure it out.
I had problems once or twice on SS5 (It didn't want to spit the boot
floppy out so i could put the root one in the drive) but other than
that, it works. If you use netboot/install it goes just fine.

This is from a SS2:

~ $ uptime
  2:56pm  up 58 days,  1:05,  1 user,  load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00
~ $

This machine works just fine, but I got some disk corruption after
about 70 days of uptime twice 'till now. I suscpect flaky old hardware,
though.

This is the only SS2 machine that I have now and it works OK. OTOH,
I can't plug more than one {disk|cdrom|whatever} to the scsi bus
of a SS$ or SS5...and here I do not suspect the hardware, as Solaris
2.6 works OK with multiple disks on that machine.

HTH.

--
Borut
borut.mrak@ijs.si