SGML/XML Policy Group - XML Catalog Update

On , May 4, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Mark, can you clarify what is the todo list for the Debian SGML/XML
> policy?

Be kind - what follows is off the top of my head...

(1) First would be a working implementation of xml catalogs.

    I'm working on this and have made a few test 'xml-base'
    packages. The package is based on what Daniel Veillard and Tim
    Waugh have been doing in RedHat - and it works. (I'm trying not to
    introduce any pieces that depart from what redhat's doing.)

    After further testing, and some policy discussion regarding the
    details of registering resources, I plan to upload the package
    within a day or two.

    The package sets up an initial xml catalog: /etc/xml/catalog,
    provides dtds for composing valid catalog files, and includes the
    OASIS XML Catalog spec & OASIS tr9401:1997 specs as part of the
    package docs.

    It also will have a brief primer on how to register xml resources
    in existing packages, in the interim. The primer should be of use
    until all xml-related packages are updated and can register their
    own resources. This will depend on stuff below.

(2) A number policy decisions, (of varying priority)

     - xml catalog naming conventions

     - what, precisely, to do in the package install scripts, as far
       as registering the resources in the catalogs. (Workable options
       are many.)

     - whether to implement the hierarchical/cascading catalog system
       as we did in following the LSB-SGML draft. IMO, that (i.e., the
       current) system has too much redundancy, most of which could be
       eliminated by using DELEGATE entries in /etc/sgml/catalog and
       also in /etc/sgml/*.cat

     - (if applicable) whether to generate some of the xml catalogs
       for a given package via the postinst scripts (with
       /usr/bin/xmlcatalog), or to include them in the packages

     - whether to move to a /usr/share/sgml /usr/share/xml split, as
       will be done with /etc/sgml and /etc/xml

I'm sure there's more, but I wanted to make a post to reassure
everyone that the xml catalog problem is being addressed most
expeditiously.

I need to get away from the computer for a few hours and map all of
this out. When I do, I'll post a message with specific suggestions &
rationale for some of this stuff. I'll start a draft doc for xml
catalog implementation.

Don't want to go too far beyond this until I know how/if the LSB-XML/SGML
Working Group is going to work out.

Cheers,
Mark