Re: Debian LTS?

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 06:41:32PM -0700, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> I agree.  Long-term support is not sexy, and it's not something that
> most FLOSS developers (or developers in general, in my experience) have
> any interest in working on.  The best way that most companies know to
> motivate them is to pay them.  This is why RHEL, Canonical, and other
> companies charge so much for support contracts.  I'm not sure how
> anybody could motivate a large enough group Debian developers to work on
> an LTS release.

The idea I was raising (based on the security team notes) was along the
lines of getting a foundation together to fund that work specifically.
I have no real idea whether there are people around who would be ready
and willing to do the work on a paid basis, of course, but I can't help
thinking that the money is likely to be there if the coordination and
willing expertise is also there (that's a big if, of course).

Cheers,
Dominic.