Re: secure installation

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 09:00:47AM +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> So even automatic _reminders_ to install security updates are only
> enabled, if the user either installs gnome (I use kde) or specifically
> knows of and installs the appropriate tool. I have not tried
> exhaustively, but update-manager does not appear to work 'automatically'
> with kde, at least not for myself. It only works, if I start it manually
> and that's even less convenient than a simple 'aptitude update; aptitude
> upgrade'.

It is an interesting problem.  If you wanted to be reasonably sure that
such a reminder would reach the user (unless it were explicitly disabled),
regardless of the choice of UI style, how would you do it ?

I imagine one of the available options would send you an email ?
or you could stick it the MOTD ...
whatabout headless web-interface controlled systems ?

Is the whole idea of such mandatory features really compatible with
Debian, or more generally, software freedom ?

Regards,
Paddy