Re: strange requests from Vanguard Securities: 53,137,138

On Sunday 12 August 2007 13:16, Wade Richards wrote:
>Opening up ports
>to stop log file messages is kind of like removing your armour because
>you don't like the loud "ping" sound of bullets bouncing off it.

Well said. I really couldn't have said it better myself.

The only other thing I could add to your list is to make sure the problem is
well-understood before attempting solutions. I know from my own experience
that when you think (or know) something is wrong, don't really know what is
wrong, and try to fix it by poking at it, it's like a brain surgeon trying to
remove necrotic tissue blind. They really don't know what they're doing, or
what they're removing.

When I first began using linux, I generally tried windows-like solutions: If A
file is causing problems, delete it. This lead me to delete my inittab file,
which, as you (should) know, usually requires a system reinstall. Learn from
my mistake ;).

I don't mean you need to be a network Guru before you figure out where things
are -- if you didn't know about whois or host, it could be tricky to figure
out who, exactly, is 127.0.0.1. That's why mailing lists exist -- to ask
questions. It's usually best to try to figure it out FIRST, *THEN* solve, and
figuring it out may require asking questions.

--
Sincerely,
Jack

My GPG Public Key can be found at:
https://www.theanythingbox.com/pgp.htm (top link is current)
I appreciate signatures, but if you only know me online,
please use the --lsign-key, not the --sign-key.
I appreciate trust -- but too much makes it less valuable.